Sunday, July 28, 2013

Planting Buckwheat in Monsoon weather...LOL

Some books tell us that it is useless to plant for bees unless you have acres of land.  I don't buy that.  Maybe it would be difficult to get a monofloral honey such as Sunflower, Clover etc without a very large nectar source but I think we can help our bees and other pollinators by providing diverse nectar sources -even if you only have a small patch of ground.

I like to plant a small patch of buckwheat in my garden in mid summer.  Buckwheat will usually produce blooms 30 days after planting and I use it to provide nectar in mid to late August. (A time that is usually a dearth time in our area).

This year with all the rain we have had. I cant get the soil to be dry enough to plow !  So I just skimmed off the grass on top. Spread out the seed, threw out a plastic snake to hopefully discourage the birds and stuck my plastic owl on a pole for good measure..LOL .  My regular garden has been a disaster this year... lets hope the buckwheat comes along and enough dry weather for the bees to be able to fly and harvest it.  (Buckwheat is poisonous to grazing animals be careful where you plant it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment