Friday, July 12, 2013

It's swarmy weather.....

It is common for Honeybee colonies to swarm .  About half of the bees along with the queen leave to make a new home elsewhere.  The bees left in the old hive will hopefully be able to make a new queen.  As a beekeeper, I don't want my colonies to swarm.  I would rather they stay in the colony and make excess honey for me.  There are many strategies for reducing or preventing swarms.  Some work to a degree, nothing is 100%.  We are working against the basic nature of the colony.  When I have a colony "issue" a swarm, I want to catch it and place it in a new box.  This is not just my desire to have more colonies but only about 50% of swarms that leave make it through the first year.  It is usually better for me and the bees if I can re-hive them.

When the bees initially leave their old hive, they cluster in a tree or bush nearby before leaving for their permanent new home.  There is not a beekeeper alive that doesn't drool over the site of a large ball of bees hanging in a tree.  But sometimes, they are too far up in the tree to catch.
See the dark blob waaay up in the tree !

 

No comments:

Post a Comment