Thursday, November 7, 2013

Cleaning Your Smoker - a serious beekeeping tool.






I use natural local dry pine needles in my bee smokers.  Over the course of the season they can get quite grungy and the lids don't close well !
 
The top may get so clogged with soot that air flow is restricted or stopped completely.
















First, I removed the grates from the bottom of the smoker and will set them aside.



















Using a propane torch I actually set the sooty residue on fire.  Being VERY careful of burns or fire !!
 

I repeatedly apply the torch to the congested area to get a good burn going.  This is hot people, be careful. Do not let the fire or torch come into contact with the wooden parts or plastic/leather bellows - or yourself.
 In a few minutes the flames will get lower as the resin is burned out of the soot.
You will notice the change of appearance.  We have some black residue still but also some white ash. Let this cool - let this cool - let this cool - get the picture !
 
You did let it cool right ?  Now take a hive tool or screw driver and scape the residue off.  It will flake away rather easily,
 
Be sure to clean well around the inside rim of the hood where it fits the body.

 
 




 Be sure to clean well around the outside of the smoker where the lid fits.

My Dadant smoker has a small hole in the bottom of the bellows.  It is notorious for getting clogged up and I have to take it off the smoker and clear the hole.

Ahh,, all I need now is a handful of dry pine needles, a match and a warm day to work bees !  :)


4 comments:

  1. I love that you posted this - a smoker is the most important beekeeping tool and if taken care of properly can last for ages.

    For mine, I usually gently tap the dome (on the outside) with my hive tool while it is still warm. It usually knocks off the majority of gunk stuck on the inside.

    Maria
    http://www.donnellyfarmsohio.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, by the time I am finished in the bee yard, I am usually too tired to think to tap the top.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I repost this for our local bee club? York County Beekeepers Association

    ReplyDelete