Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Fall in the Bee Yard

As we go into late October, winter is bearing down on us from the bees perspective.  We had heavy frost this week and will experience a hard freeze this weekend.  That should put an end to the nectar plants.  At the point, I have done all I can to prepare my colonies.  Time will tell how they fair as the winter goes forward.  Starvation is a big risk for local beekeepers.  Our mild winters often result in the colony staying somewhat active and consuming large quantities of food.  I will check them periodically on warm winter days.  Good Luck Bees.

1 comment:

  1. Love the colors in your picture - NW Ohio is definitely different from SC. My bees stay clustered all the way through to the maple bloom sometime in early April.

    Maria
    http://www.donnellyfarmsohio.com/

    ReplyDelete