Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Feed those bees.... if they need it

Some people say you should never feed your honeybees as they should be strong enough to take care of themselves.  I can appreciate that line of thinking..yet I realize the bees are not native to this area nor is it normal to have several families of honeybees living in such close proximity.

This year has not been good for beekeeping overall.  Too much cool weather during the spring and then rain, rain and more rain.  Despite the fact that I have watched my colonies, not taken off too much honey and actually fed a little - I still have a couple of colonies on the brink of starvation.  Large number of workers, healthy looking queen, very little brood  (some of which may have been eaten) and no honey stores.  So I feed feed feed now !

No comments:

Post a Comment